The Borough of West Chester is the county seat of Chester County, Pennsylvania.
Philadelphia is 25 miles to the east and Wilmington 17 miles to the south. Valley Forge, the Brandywine Battlefield, Longwood Gardens, and other historical attractions are near West Chester.
The West Chester University of Pennsylvania is located here.
In 1900, 9,524 people lived here; in 1910, 11,767; in 1920, 11,717; and in 1940, 13,289 lived here. In 2000, the US census recorded 17,861 residents.