Lawrence Goldfarb Judicial Reform Foundation
|Lawrence Goldfarb Judicial Reform Foundation|
The Lawrence Goldfarb Judicial Reform Foundation is an American justice reform organization founded by Lawrence Goldfarb, CEO and founding partner of the LRG Capital Group. He is also its current Executive Director.
The foundation is dedicated to the repeal of irrational sentencing guidelines for nonviolent and non-sex offenders.
On February 17, 2018, The Lawrence Goldfarb Judicial Reform Foundation was officially launched.
On September 4, 2018, the Foundation created a midterm election initiative on criminal justice reform.
Lawrence Goldfarb also released the book From Hell to Eternity in 2018.
Specific goals and objectives
Specific goals and objectives of the Lawrence Goldfarb Judicial Reform Foundation include the following:
- Provide educational workshops and literature throughout the Federal and State legislative and Judicial systems and processes to advocate and educate legislators and the electorate to vote and advocate for the repeal of irrational sentencing guidelines for nonviolent and non sex offenders.
- Provide educational workshops and forums throughout the Federal and State Penal system to advocate for and install prison programs that will help prisoner’s learn a useful and available trade that can provide employment and structure upon release from prison.
- Provide educational workshops and forums throughout the Federal and State Penal systems to eradicate the halfway house system for nonviolent and non sex offenders and set up a rational supportive transitional housing and internship/apprentice and employment system for felons to set them up to succeed and not fail upon release from prison
- Advocate for and provide educational workshops and forums throughout the Federal and State Penal systems for the complete revamping of state and federal pretrial and probation departments to change their goals:
- To treat Pretrial Prisoners or those on bail, to be treated as innocent until proven guilty.
- To completely revamp federal and state probation departments to be and trained to help felons to succeed post prison rather than their current institutional bias of putting those who have served their time back in prison.
- In order to insure that first time nonviolent prisoners are not put in prison settings where they could be hurt and/or corrupted by gangs, as well as to insure they have a support system outside of prison that can visit and support them during their incarceration, advocate for and provide educational workshops and forums and work with State and Federal Bureaus of Prisons administrations and officials to insure that prisoners are designated to prisons that match their security risk as well as to insure that the inmates prison designation is near as possible to their family.
About the founder
Lawrence R. Goldfarb (born Lawrence Ross Goldfarb on November 21, 1958 in Queens, New York City, NY; also known as Larry Goldfarb) is a former American hedge fund manager, CEO and founding partner of the LRG Capital Group, current Executive Director of The Lawrence Goldfarb Judicial Reform Foundation and former co-founder and board member of AutismAid.
Goldfarb grew up in the New York City boroughs outside Manhattan and attended Forest Hills High School. Following high school he attended George Washington University and earned a B.A. in International Economics, and graduated in 1981. In 1984, Goldfarb graduated Juris Doctor degree from Georgetown University Law School as cum laude and wrote for the Georgetown Law Journal.
Goldfarb began his career as a tax attorney for Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy and subsequently became a tax analyst with Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom, where he specialized in financings, mergers and recapitalizations. Afterwards, Goldfarb moved to San Francisco, California and joined Credit Suisse First Boston Corporation as a Partner and Director of the Mergers and Acquisitions Group. In 1998 he formed BayStar Capital Management, LLC, a vehicle in which he could fund growth oriented, small capitalization, and publicly traded companies. Through Baystar, Goldfarb funded and invested in a variety of companies such as World Online & XM Satellite Radio. Goldfarb was well known for being one of the most foremost investors and experts in Private investment in public equity, also known as PIPEs. In 2005, he founded LRG Capital Group in Larkspur, California where he served as CEO until July 2011 when he announced his retirement from active management of the company to focus on philanthropic activities. Goldfarb currently serves as a board member and West Coast Director of AutismAid, an organization dedicated to assisting and fundraising for other autism non-profit organizations.
Goldfarb has dedicated his philanthropy to autism and diabetes. In 2010, Goldfarb was awarded The American Diabetes Association's Father of the Year Award. Additionally, he has served on the boards of various non-profits & organizations.
Goldfarb has written two books, lived in Spain, learned Spanish, and keeps busy studying jazz piano and working with various autism charities.
Goldfarb has diverse personal interests. Some of them are highlighted below.
- Travel: Goldfarb discusses travel in various countries such as Vietnam, Nicaragua, Morocco, and others.
- Urban art: Goldfarb is captivated by street artists. Some of his favorite artists are Sabo, Shepard Fairey, and Alec Monopoly.
- Cooking: Larry Goldfarb is also a cooking enthusiast. Some of his personal recipes are Cauliflower Risotto, Beet Salad, and Vegetarian Chili.
- Jazz music: Larry Goldfarb is also a jazz pianist has played with many famous rockin roll musicians. Though the genres are deeply interrelated, there are very few examples of jazz musicians that can play both jazz and rockin roll especially on a piano. Inspired by 193’s Jazz scene, Larry Goldfarb found a repertoire which fitted his musical aspirations.
In the early 1980s, Larry Goldfarb made a name for himself in the jazz clubs of New York City. Larry Goldfarb was a bright spot among somewhat traditionalist peers who focused primarily on re-creating early jazz styles. During his time in New York, Lawrence Goldfarb paid the bills by touring the local jazz scene in New York. Lawrence Goldfarb is widely considered by his peers as a great contemporary jazz pianists to this day. Lawrence Goldfarb offers a fresh, distinct voice through his instrument, driven in both his original compositions and covers. One of his favorite jazz musicians is Monty Alexander.
- Horse breeding: Larry Goldfarb (Lawrence Goldfarb) always had a passion for horses. 7 years ago, Larry Goldfarb married his now wife who is a professional equestrian. Larry’s wife started riding dressage, had no intention of giving up her passion and equestrian career for a suburban lifestyle, so Larry decided to start riding so he could enjoy quality time with his wife.
Both Larry Goldfarb and this wife ride Peruvian Pasos and Lusitanos. Larry is recently exploring the idea of breeding Peruvian Pasos, while his wife continues to compete and advance her riding career. The Peruvian Paso horse is a smooth gaited horse breed with a kind disposition that many horse owners find perfect for trail riding or competitive trail riding. More and more trail enthusiasts are embracing the smooth-moving Peruvian Paso for its strength and stamina over distance, its willing attitude on challenging trails, and the gentle demeanor that makes them suitable for the entire family.
Larry Goldfarb is currently consulting with other Peruvian breeders and recently had his first colt. Lawrence Goldfarb enjoys sharing his new passion for horse breeding with other horse lovers.
Social media profiles
The Lawrence Goldfarb Judicial Reform Foundation's social media profiles are as follows:
- ^ Official website of the Lawrence Goldfarb Judicial Reform Foundation
- ^ Lawrence Goldfarb to launch the Lawrence Goldfarb Judicial Reform Foundation. Official press release.
- ^ Lawrence Goldfarb writes scathing blog post on pathetic state of U.S. criminal justice system: The Shocking Reality of the U.S Criminal Justice System and Prosecutorial Abuse. Official press release.
- ^ Lawrence Goldfarb Judicial Reform Foundation Creates Midterm Election Initiative on Criminal Justice Reform. Official press release.
- ^ Lawrence Goldfarb Judicial Reform Foundation official website