Quickly add a free MyWikiBiz directory listing!
Nial began taking piano lesson at an early age, 2½ yearsTemplate:Fix.
Nial was introduced to jazz music by his father, Tripudjo Djuliarso, who plays bass. In the house he heard a lot of jazz from his father's collection. After seeing a concert by the Pat Metheny Group in Jakarta in 1995, Nial became interested in the musical genre.
When Nial attended high school in Chattanooga, Tennessee, he continued to learn jazz piano. In Chattanooga he played frequently in the Jazz Junction, a jazz club, before he graduated in 1999.Template:Fix At that time, he actively sought knowledge from other jazz musicians, including Ellis Marsalis, by sending the recording of his music in order to be accepted to masterclasses by those renowned musicians.
Upon finishing high school, he continued his musical studies at the Berklee College of Music in Boston, Massachusetts. He graduated with a Bachelor of Music degree in 2004, majoring in Contemporary Writing and Production and Performance.
He continued his studies at the Juilliard School's jazz studies program, graduating in May 2006. He is currently residing in New York City, touring with the Artie Shaw Orchestra when they are on the road, and freelancing.
- Nial Djuliarso at Juilliard (2005) Omega Pacific Production
- Winner of 1999 Piano Jazz Improvisation Competition at Oberlin Conservatory
- 1st place at the 2003 Horace Silver piano competition
- 3rd place at the 2005 Montreux solo jazz piano competition
- 3rd place at the 2005 Moscow jazz piano competition.
- 3rd place at the 2005 USA Songwriting Competition