First edition published September 15, 1903 (as The Miami Evening Record); renamed The Miami Herald on December 1, 1910. Acquired by John S. and James L. Knight in 1937. In 1946, launched international Clipper edition for Latin America, so named because it was shipped on Pan Am flying “clipper” seaplanes. In 1951, won its first of 19 Pulitzer Prizes for reporting on organized crime in Miami. In 1974, along with others in the Knight Newspapers group, merged with Ridder Publications to become Knight Ridder. Most recently, in 2006, was the largest paper acquired and retained by McClatchy Company when it bought Knight Ridder.