Washington is a state of the northwest United States on the Pacific Ocean. It was admitted as the 42nd state in 1889. Originally explored by Capt. James Cook (1778), Washington was the object of a dispute between England and the United States until 1846, when its northern border was set at the 49th parallel. Washington is noted for its lumber and defense industries. Olympia is the capital and Seattle the largest city. Population: 6,280,000.
- Nickname: Evergreen State
- Motto: Alki (By and By)
- State Bird: Willow Goldfinch
- State Flower: Western Rhododendron (rhododendron macrophyllum)
- State Tree: Western Hemlock (tsuga heterophylla)
- State Song: Washington, My Home