Georgia is a state of the southeast United States. It was admitted as one of the original Thirteen Colonies in 1788. Georgia was founded in 1732 by a group led by the British philanthropist James Oglethorpe and named for King George II. Atlanta is the capital and the largest city. Population: 9,070,000.
At the time of European colonization of the Americas, Cherokee and Creek Indians lived in what is now Georgia. Though it is unknown exactly who was the first European to sight Georgia, it is possible that Juan Ponce de Leon sailed along the coast during his exploration of Florida. In 1526, Lucas Vásquez de Ayllón attempted to establish a colony there, possibly near St. Catherines Island.
- Nickname: Peach State / Goober state / Empire State of the South
- Motto: Wisdom, justice, and moderation
- State Bird: Brown Thrasher
- State Flower: Cherokee Rose (rosa laevigata)
- State Tree: Live oak (quercus virginiana)
- State Song: Georgia on My Mind