Once a hunting ground for the Potawatomi and Miami Indians, Angola was settled in the mid 1800s by pioneers from the Northeast who named the town after a city in New York. Angola grew as its public square became a trading place for American Indians and farmers. Evidence. of the Indians' presence can be found in many area fields, which yield an abundance of flint spearpoints and arrowheads.
Angola is a vacation center in Indiana's lake resort region, where more than 100 lakes provide recreational opportunities. Pokagon State Park (is 5 miles north on SR 727. Of interest is the Steuben County Courthouse on Public Square. Built in 1868, the courthouse is a replica of Boston's Faneuil Hall. Also on the square is the Soldiers' Monument, honoring county soldiers who served in the Civil War. TriState University is southwest.
Steuben County Tourism Bureau: 207 S. Wayne, Angola, IN 46703; phone (800) 581-0908.