Quickly add a free MyWikiBiz directory listing!
Template:OMG728 Through the influence of Indiana congressman Jonathon Jennings, the territorial capital of Indiana was moved from Vincennes to Corydon in 1813, and the state constitution was drawn up. The town served as the state capital 1816-25.
Indiana's only official Civil War battle, the Battle of Corydon took place a mile south when the home guard met the main force of General John H. Morgan's Confederate Raiders on' July 9, 1863. The home guard troops surrendered and were held captive during the famous raiders' brief stay.
Southwest, Harrison-Crawford State Forest covers more than 25,000 acres of hills overlooking the Ohio River. One of the largest state properties, the forest includes Wyandotte Woods State Recreation, offering a full spectrum of recreational facilities; the Blue River, popular with canoeists; and Wyandotte Caves.
Corydon Chamber of Commerce Department of Tourism: 310 N. Elm St., Corydon, IN 47112; phone (812) 738-2137 or (888) 738-2137. See color ad.
Self-guiding tours: Walking-tour maps pinpointing historic sites are available from the department of tourism.
Shopping areas: Old Capital Square has a number of shops selling local art, solid wood furniture, antiques, glassware and other specialties.
CORYDON CAPITOL STATE HISTORIC SITE, Old Capitol Sq. at Walnut St., preserves three sites that played roles in the political development of the state. The Old Capitol Building at Old Capitol Square on North Capitol Avenue served as the seat of government 1816-25. Built of native blue limestone and hand-hewn timbers, the square two-story structure is restored and furnished in period.
Governor Hendricks' Headquarters, the former home and headquarters of Indiana's second elected governor, is across the street from Old Capitol Square at 202 E. Walnut St. The house is furnished with period antiques. The Constitution Elm marks the site where Indiana delegates drafted the state's first constitution. Allow 30 minutes minimum. Tues.-Sat. 9-5, Sun. 1-5, mid-Mar. to mid-Dec.; otherwise varies. Closed holidays except Memorial Day, Jnly 4 and Labor Day. Free. Phone (812) 738-4890.
CORYDON SCENIC RAILROAD, Walnut and Water sts., provides narrated, 90-minute sightseeing tours through the rolling hills of southern Indiana. The tour is especially scenic in the fall. Trips depart Wed.-Fri. at 1, Sat.-Sun. at 1 and 3, mid-June to mid-Aug.; Fri. at 1, Sat.-Sun. at 1 and 3, early June and Sept.-Oct.; Sat.-Sun. at 1 and 3, May 3-31 and Nov. 1-16. Fare $9; ages 4-12, $5. MC, VI. Phone (812) 738-8000.
SQUIRE BOONE CAVERNS AND VILLAGE is 13 mi. s. of 1-64 on SR 135, then 3 mi. e. on Squire Boone Caverns .Rd. Discovered in 1790 by Daniel Boone and his brother Squire, the caverns feature twisted helictite formations and rare rirnstone darns. A 73-step spiral staircase must be climbed on the one-hour tour of the caverns. Squire Boone's grave can be reached via a 2-mile trail. The village features crafts demonstrations, a large collected works of American Indian artifacts, a farm animal petting zoo and a restored water-powered gristmill where cornmeal is ground. Food is available. Allow 2 hours minimum. Village daily 10-5, Memorial Day weekend to mid-Aug.; Sat.-Sun. 10-6, mid-Aug. through Labor Day. Cavern tours daily every 30 minutes 9-6, Memorial Day weekend-Labor Day; daily every 2 hours 10-4, day after Labor Day-Dec. 31 and March 1 - day before Memorial Day weekend; Sat.-Sun. every 2 hours 10-4, rest of year. Closed Jan. 1, Thanksgiving and Dec. 24-25. Admission $9.50; over 60, $8.50; ages 6-11, $5.50. Parking $3. Phone (812) 732-4381. Template:OMG728